Switchgear and Protection pdf Notes
Switchgear and Protection pdf Notes – SGP pdf Notes – SGP Notes
SGP Latest Material Links
SGP Old Material Links
UNIT – I Circuit Breakers-1
- Circuit Breakers: Elementary principles of arc interruption, Recovery, Restriking Voltage and Recovery voltages.-
- Restriking Phenomenon, Average and Max. RRRV, Numerical Problems – Current Chopping and Resistance Switching – CB ratings and Specifications : Types and Numerical Problems. – Auto reclosures
UNIT – II Circuit Breakers-2
- Description and Operation of following types of circuit breakers: Minimum Oil Circuit breakers, Air Blast Circuit Breakers, Vacuum and SF6 circuit breakers.
UNIT – III Electromagnetic and Static Relays
- Principle of Operation and Construction of Attracted armature, Balanced Beam, induction Disc and Induction Cup relays. Relays Classification: Instantaneous, DMT and IDMT types.
- Application of relays: Over current/ Under voltage relays, Direction relays, Differential Relays and Percentage Differential Relays. Universal torque equation, Distance relays: Impedance,
- Reactance and Mho and Off-Set Mho relays, Characteristics of Distance Relays and Comparison. Static Relays: Static Relays verses Electromagnetic Relays
UNIT – IV Generator Protection
- Protection of generators against Stator faults, Rotor faults, and Abnormal Conditions. Restricted Earth fault and Inter-turn fault Protection. Numerical Problems on % Winding Unprotected.
UNIT – V Transformer Protection
- Protection of transformers: Percentage Differential Protection, Numerical Problem on Design of CT s Ratio, Buchholtz relay Protection.
UNIT – VI Feeder and Bus-Bar Protection
- Protection of Lines: Over Current, Carrier Current and Three-zone distance relay protection using Impedance relays. Translay Relay. Protection of Bus bars – Differential protection.
UNIT – VII Neutral Grounding
- Grounded and Ungrounded Neutral Systems.- Effects of Ungrounded Neutral on system performance. Methods of Neutral Grounding: Solid, Resistance, Reactance – Arcing Grounds and Grounding Practices.
UNIT – VIII Protection against over voltages
- Generation of Over Voltages in Power Systems.-Protection against Lightning Over Voltages – Valve type and Zinc-Oxide Lighting Arresters – Insulation Coordination -BIL, Impulse Ratio, Standard Impulse Test Wave, Volt-Time Characteristics.
TEXT BOOKS: Switchgear and Protection Notes – SGP Notes – SGP Pdf Notes
- Switchgear and Protection – by Sunil S Rao, Khanna Publlishers
- Power System Protection and Switchgear by Badari Ram , D.N Viswakarma, TMH Publications
REFERENCE BOOKS: Switchgear and Protection Notes – SGP Notes – SGP Pdf Notes
- Fundamentals of Power System Protection by Paithankar and S.R.Bhide.,PHI, 2003
- Art & Science of Protective Relaying – by C R Mason, Wiley Eastern Ltd.
- Electrical Power Systems – by C.L.Wadhwa, New Age international (P) Limited, Publishers, 3nd editon
- A Text book on Power System Engineering by B.L.Soni, Gupta, Bhatnagar, Chakrabarthy, Dhanpat Rai & Co.