Power Electronics pdf Notes
Objective : Power Electronics pdf Notes – PE pdf Notes – PE Notes
With the advent of semiconductor devices, revolution is taking place in the power transmission distribution and utilization. This course introduces the basic concepts of power semiconductor devices, converters and choppers and their analysis.
PE Latest Material Links
PE Old Material Links
UNIT – I
POWER SEMI CONDUCTOR DEVICES
- Thyristors – Silicon Controlled Rectifiers (SCR’s) – BJT – Power MOSFET – Power IGBT and their characteristics and other thyristors – Basic theory of operation of SCR – Static characteristics –
- Turn on and turn off methods- Dynamic characteristics of SCR – Turn on and Turn off times -Salient points
UNIT – II
DEVICES AND COMMUTATION CIRCUITS
- Two transistor analogy – SCR – UJT firing circuit ––– Series and parallel connections of SCR’s – Snubber circuit details –
- Specifications and Ratings of SCR’s, BJT, IGBT – Numerical problems – Line Commutation and Forced Commutation circuits.
UNIT – III
SINGLE PHASE HALF CONTROLLED CONVERTERS
- Phase control technique – Single phase Line commutated converters – Mid point and Bridge connections – Half controlled converters with Resistive,
- RL loads and RLE load– Derivation of average load voltage and current – Active and Reactive power inputs to the converters without and with Free wheeling Diode –Numerical problems
UNIT – IV
SINGLE PHASE FULLY CONTROLLED CONVERTERS
- Fully controlled converters, Mid point and Bridge connections with Resistive, RL loads and RLE load– Derivation of average load voltage and current – Line commutated inverters –
- Active and Reactive power inputs to the converters without and with Free wheeling Diode, Effect of source inductance – Derivation of load voltage and current – Numerical problems.
UNIT – V
THREE PHASE LINE COMMUTATED CONVERTERS
- Three phase converters – Three pulse and six pulse converters – Mid point and bridge connections average load voltage With R and RL loads –
- Effect of Source inductance–Dual converters (both single phase and three phase) – Waveforms –Numerical Problems.
UNIT – VI
AC VOLTAGE CONTROLLERS & CYCLO CONVERTERS
- AC voltage controllers – Single phase two SCR’s in anti parallel – With R and RL loads – modes of operation of Triac – Triac with R and RL loads – Derivation of RMS load voltage, Current and power factor wave forms –
- Firing circuits -Numerical problems -Cyclo converters – Single phase mid point cyclo converters with Resistive and inductive load (Principle of operation only) – Bridge configuration of single phase cyclo converter (Principle of operation only) – Waveforms
UNIT – VII
- Choppers – Time ratio control and Current limit control strategies – Step down choppers Derivation of load voltage and currents with R, RL and RLE loads- Step up Chopper – load voltage expression
Morgan’s chopper – Jones chopper and Oscillation chopper (Principle of operation only) Waveforms –– AC Chopper – Problems.
UNIT – VIII
- Inverters – Single phase inverter – Basic series inverter – Basic parallel Capacitor inverter bridge inverter – Waveforms – Simple forced commutation circuits for bridge inverters – Mc Murray and Mc Murray –
- Bedford inverters – Voltage control techniques for inverters Pulse width modulation techniques – Numerical problems.
TEXT BOOKS : Power Electronics Notes – PE Notes – PE pdf Notes
- Power Electronics – by M. D. Singh & K. B. Kanchandhani, Tata Mc Graw – Hill Publishing company, 1998.
- Power Electronics : Circuits, Devices and Applications – by M. H. Rashid, Prentice Hall of India, 2nd edition, 1998
REFERENCE BOOKS : Power Electronics Notes – PE Notes – PE pdf Notes
- Power Electronics – by Vedam Subramanyam, New Age International (P) Limited, Publishers
- Power Electronics – by V.R.Murthy , 1st edition -2005, OXFORD University Press
- Power Electronics-by P.C.Sen,Tata Mc Graw-Hill Publishing.
- Thyristorised Power Controllers – by G. K. Dubey, S. R. Doradra, A. Joshi and R. M. K. Sinha, New Age International (P) Limited Publishers, 1996.