HIGH VOLTAGE ENGINEERING pdf Notes
High Voltage Engineering pdf Notes – HVE Notes – HVE pdf Notes
HVE Latest Material Links
HVE Old Material Links
UNIT I INTRODUCTION TO HIGH VOLTAGE TECHNOLOGY AND APPLICATIONS
- Electric Field Stresses, Gas / Vaccum as Insulator, Liquid Dielectrics, Solids and Composites, Estimation and Control of Electric Stress,
- Numerical methods for electric field computation, Surge voltages, their distribution and control, Applications of insulating materials in transformers, rotating machines, circuit breakers, cable power capacitors and bushings
UNIT II BREAK DOWN IN GASEOUS AND LIQUID DIELECTRICS
- Gases as insulating media, collision process, Ionization process, Townsend’s criteria of breakdown in gases, Paschen’s law. Liquid as Insulator, pure and commercial liquids, breakdown in pure and commercial liquids.
UNIT III BREAK DOWN IN SOLID DIELECTRICS
- Intrinsic breakdown, electromechanical breakdown, thermal breakdown, breakdown of solid dielectrics in practice,
- Breakdown in composite dielectrics, solid dielectrics used in practice.
UNIT IV GENERATION OF HIGH VOLTAGES AND CURRENTS
- Generation of High Direct Current Voltages, Generation of High alternating voltages, Generation of Impulse Voltages,
- Generation of Impulse currents, Tripping and control of impulse generators.
UNIT V MEASUREMENT OF HIGH VOLTAGES AND CURRENTS
- Measurement of High Direct Current voltages, Measurement of High Voltages alternating and impulse,
- Measurement of High Currents-direct, alternating and Impulse, Oscilloscope for impulse voltage and current measurements.
UNIT VI OVER VOLTAGE PHENOMENON AND INSULATION CO-ORDINATION
- Natural causes for over voltages – Lightning phenomenon, Overvoltage due to switching surges, system faults and other abnormal conditions,
- Principles of Insulation Coordination on High voltage and Extra High Voltage power systems.
UNIT VII NON-DISTRUCTIVE TESTING OF MATERIAL AND ELECTRICAL APPARATUS
- Measurement of D.C Resistivity, Measurement of Dielectric Constant and loss factor, Partial discharge measurements.
UNIT VIII HIGH VOLTAGE TESTING OF ELECTRICAL APPARATUS
- Testing of Insulators and bushings, Testing of Isolators and circuit breakers, Testing of cables, Testing of Transformers,
- Testing of Surge Arresters, Radio Interference measurements.
TEXT BOOKS: High Voltage Engineering Notes – HVE Notes – HVE Pdf Notes
- High Voltage Engineering by M.S.Naidu and V. Kamaraju – TMH Publications, 3rd Edition
- High Voltage Engineering: Fundamentals by E.Kuffel, W.S.Zaengl, J.Kuffel by Elsevier, 2nd Edition.
REFERENCE BOOKS: High Voltage Engineering Notes – HVE Notes – HVE Pdf Notes
- High Voltage Engineering by C.L.Wadhwa, New Age Internationals (P) Limited, 1997.
- High Voltage Insulation Engineering by Ravindra Arora, Wolfgang Mosch, New Age International (P) Limited, 1995.