ELECTRICAL MACHINES III pdf Notes
Objective : Electrical Machine III pdf Notes – EM III Notes – EM pdf Notes
This subject is an extension of previous machines courses. It deals with the detailed analysis of Synchronous generators and motors which are the prime source of electrical power generation and its utilities. Also concerns about the different types of single phase motors which are having significant applications in house hold appliances and control systems.
Complete Notes :-
EM – III Latest Material Links
EM – III Old Material Links
Complete Notes :-
UNIT – I
Construction and Principle of operation
- Constructional Features of round rotor and salient pole machines – Armature windings – Integral slot and fractional slot windings
- Distributed and concentrated windings – distribution, pitch and winding factors – E.M.F Equation.
Synchronous Generator Characteristics
- Harmonics in generated e.m.f. – suppression of harmonics – armature reaction – leakage reactance – synchronous reactance and impedance – experimental determination – phasor diagram – load characteristics.
UNIT – III
Regulation of Synchronous Generator
- Regulation by synchronous impedance method, M.M.F. method, Z.P.F. method and A.S.A. methods – salient pole alternators – two reaction analysis –
- Experimental determination of Xd and Xq (Slip test) Phasor diagrams – Regulation of salient pole alternators.
UNIT – IV
- Parallel Operation of Synchronous Generator Synchronizing alternators with infinite bus bars – synchronizing power torque
- parallel operation and load sharing – Effect of change of excitation and mechanical power input. Analysis of short circuit current wave form – determination of sub-transient, transient and steady state reactances.
UNIT – V
Synchronous Motors – Principle of Operation
- Theory of operation – phasor diagram – Variation of current and power factor with excitation – synchronous condenser – Mathematical analysis for power developed .
- Excitation and power circles – hunting and its suppression – Methods of starting – synchronous induction motor.
UNIT – VII
Single Phase Motors
- Single phase Motors: Single phase induction motor – Constructional features-Double revolving field theory –Equivalent Circuit
- split-phase motors – Capacitor start capacitor run motors.
UNIT – VIII
- Principle & performance of A.C. Series motor-Universal motor – Principle of permanent magnet and reluctance motors.
TEXT BOOKS: Electrical Machine III Notes – EM III Notes – EM Pdf Notes
- Electric Machines – by I.J.Nagrath & D.P.Kothari, Tata Mc Graw-Hill Publishers, 7th Edition 2005.
- Electrical Machines – by P.S. Bimbra, Khanna Publishers.
REFERENCE BOOKS: Electrical Machine III Notes – EM III Notes – EM Pdf Notes
- The Performance and Design of A.C.Machines – by M.G.Say, ELBS and Ptiman & Sons.
- Electric Machinery – by A.E. Fitzgerald, C.Kingsley and S.Umans, Mc Graw-Hill Companies, 5th edition, 1990.
- Theory of Alternating Current Machinery by Langsdorf, Tata Mc Graw-Hill, 2nd edition.
- Electromachanics-III (Synchronous and single phase machines), S.Kamakashiah, Right Publishers